Saturday, November 28, 2009

Adopt a Family


Every year my playgroup does 2 or three charity events or fundraisers. The most recent was the one for Animal Aid. Usually this time of year we do a food drive or collect items for Faith House......

This year we have decided to adopt 3 families in our community!

I will say at first I was very put off. The first Charity we got families from was Faith House. And while the people who are in a situation to use Faith House's resources are very in need......you would never know it by the wish lists! First, it is all anonymous, which is understandable, don't get me wrong! I understand the need of privacy and protection of these individuals. But my thinking is that the anonymity gives these individuals an excuse to request very extravagant NON necessities!! For instance GPS Navigators, digital cameras, Wii Games, Sheer Bed Canopies and gift certificates to Victoria Secrets and Bed Bath & Beyond.........

Now you must understand my sheer shock when reading these wants! I mean, we are trying to help people in our community that need a hand up......not buy them things they do not NEED! Our intention is to help ease the burden on these families who barely make it throughout the year, and coupled with cold weather and Christmas they struggle that much more!

Needless to say, these people will not get a thing from me! Their selfish requests and attempts to "get everything they can while it's free" do not make me feel charitable towards them and their families!!

Then there is one of the families we were sent from Catholic Services, they are the epitome of what we were looking for in a family! Single mom, with three growing boys! When I received their wish list I was so happy it wasn't filled with crazy expensive items! She listed one toy for each of her children and clothing sizes! She said that anything we could give would be of great help, but that they really needed clothes!

This family really touched my heart and I am determined, with the help of my friends give this family the best Christmas ever!!

My encounter with this mom was really great! She was holding back tears as I asked her what they needed. I found that they usually don't have a tree and when she can she gets the boys each a single toy from the Dollar Store!

We have been financially in all different places in different stages in our life. And especially after moving here from Oregon, pregnant and starting over.....the first time I wasn't sure how we'd buy the next can of formula......I can relate with the emotion of not being able to provide for your child! It is a horrible feeling!

I hope that we can turn this year into a memorable one for this family. That she will not have to worry about how she will get her boys coats for the winter or clothing for the year!

I am not certain how Catholic Family Services finds their families.......but I am glad we got a deserving family. One that appreciates the help and will allow other to help ease their burden this time of year!

Our first surprise for them will be a huge tree with decorations.........I think she will be pleased!


<span class=

2 comments:

Jeanne said...

Very nice!

Wife and Mother to the Frederick Comedians said...

Do you need a tree Heather? My mom gave me hers this year & I had just bought one last year. Let me know...