Sunday, September 6, 2009

Canning - Apple Butter




Today I tried my hand at another canning recipe! I wanted to share my experience and my recipe.....and it wouldn't be complete without pictures! :o)

Most recipes call for you to start out making your own apple sauce first.....but this just wasn't an option for me. For one, it calls for a sieve and I don't have one, nor wish to purchase one!

Lucky for me I found a recipe that gives the option of using applesauce and through looking at tons of recipes I found tips here and there and think I have found a solution and a shortcut! ....this makes me smile!

So here's the ingredients needed:



11 - 24 or 25 oz jar of apple sauce
2 Tablespoons Ground Cinnamon
1 Teaspoon Ground Cloves
1/2 Teaspoon Allspice
4 Cups Sugar


There are two ways to go about making this butter. You can use a crock pot if you have one big enough (10+ quarts). This guarantees you won't have to worry about scorching and also allows you to cook it over night. Everything in the process is the same, whether you use your stove or crock pot.

The most important part is the first step. Take your apple sauce and process it in a blender or a food processor. We have a Magic Bullet and that is what I chose to use. Getting your apple sauce as smooth as possible is key!

After you process your apple sauce, add it, along with all ingredients into your pot. Simmer on low for 8-12 hours. The longer you cook, the thicker it will be. I stopped mine about 8 hours so that I wouldn't be doing the canning process after 10 pm.

The butter turned out really good. Even Regan likes it! Next time I will start my butter earlier and simmer it 12 hours or more. I think it would add to the texture and also the flavor!

All in all it was a good experience! It is definitely a loooonng process! lol









Photobucket

4 comments:

Kelly Wright said...

Oh, that looks SO yummy girl! :)

Blasé said...

What kind of butter do you mix in with the apples? CountryCrock??

Anonymous said...

when you open the jars, how long is the apple butter good for...I may try this recipe, but not sure when I open the jars to eat, how long they are good for?....thanks

Just Being Me said...

There's no butter in apple butter! :o)

I would say a week to two weeks! I jarred mine in half pints so there wouldn't be any waste!