Sunday, September 13, 2009

Football Season........sigh


Because I wasn't raised in this area, most people don't realize that I was born here. I was born in Dauterive Hospital in New Iberia. The majority of my family still resides there, if not the surrounding areas!

About 5 years ago, I finally followed my feet and came to live here again, 23 years later like I always dreamed of doing as a child.

I love it here. This is the place for me!

But every year around this time I feel like I don't belong......

Why?

Because there is one thing in this area that runs deep in everyone's blood.....

One thing I have no desire or wish to have any part in............FOOTBALL!

If you don't live around here, or have never been here or I guess weren't raised here, you have NO idea! This isn't just a community or town supporting the local college teams. Hell, it isn't even a state with a pro team rooting on Sundays!

This is an ENTIRE state that lives and breaths sports! College, pro......

Most people are like what's the big deal, they are fans? Well, one of our 1st years here I was having a huge anniversary party and I was being told left and right that they couldn't attend because LSU was playing. I was like, "oh, yall are going to the game?" ....answer "no, the game is on....can't miss it" .....me - looking in astonishment.....

Literally, people around here revolve their lives and schedules around football. Not just a few crazed men and their friends. Entire families, including wives....... I mean, people even schedule their children's birthday parties and other things around games.

Now obvioulsy to each their own! Everyone has their "thing". But, I've lived in many states, 7 to be exact. And have never had the ?pleasure? of being around people like this. I guess I just don't get it. My life and schedule revolves around my family.....my child, my husband......things get put on the back burner for them....not the other way around.

I've been here 5 years and still don't get it. Not sure if I ever will. But I still try! Hell, don't get me wrong, I don't hate sports. I have been to pro games and when I lived in Texas in a previous life, a highlight was going to the High School football games. It was fun and a great Friday night thing to do.

I guess to me it's one of those things to put into my schedule if the opportunity arises and it works into our calendar. Scheduling my life around something as trivial as a football game just seems absurd to me.

But........this is my opinion......looking from the outside in.......



Maybe next time I'll write about how obnoxious it is when people who have never attended LSU tag their vehicles with LSU, buy and wear everything LSU! Blech!


Photobucket

2 comments:

Lana said...

I am so in tune to your LSU thoughts! Thanks for posting about that issue.

bwallace said...

those lsu fans are the worst.

and even though we go to every UL game, i could never imagine scheduling my life around games on TV. But i guess i never though that was an idea unique to this are.