Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes

Tonight's venture is the ice cream cone cupcake.

I have had these before, always loved them SO much but somehow never had the urge to make them. .........Until the other day.

Now I am making them for playgroup tomorrow and then again tomorrow night for Regan's class at her daycare. For the New Iberia kid (where her daycare is), class starts on Friday. So as a treat I am making these for her class and the teachers and workers and have ordered candles from a friend as an end of the year thank you!

Anyhoo back to my task at hand. Like I said, I had never made these and decided I could wing it and didn't need to look it up on the internet to save myself the guessing work.

So here are my magic ingredients - minus the stuff for the cake.



Here is a pan I got last minute because I was unsure as to how I was going to bake and/or transport said cone cupcakes.



Turns out I am a pretty smart damn cookie, cause the 24 cones that came in the box fit perfecting in the sized pan. And since I spent the little extra for the ones with a lid, I can ice them tonight and keep them all fresh AND put them in my Element and safely transport them to my friends house for our potluck! GO ME!! lol



I was not sure how to fill them, but as luck has it, my perfect cookie scoop was unbelievably the perfect answer!



I decided to fill the cups up to the lower rim. This gave me extra batter. I wasn't sure what amount they would rise and wanted to leave room for the icing. And I didn't want the icing to be smooshed (is that a word?) by the lid.

I found out that I could have probably used all the batter in the cones, but it still worked out.

Now baking time......don't even get me started on that one! I think they were in there like 30 minutes! This doesn't seem like a long time unless you are checking every five minutes. And everytime you think they are done, they aren't! lol



This was my first, pull them out of the oven, thought they are done. Upon further inspection I found that the base of the cones were filled with liquidy batter still. Not good.



But when I pulled them out the last time, it appeared there were visible signs they were done. They were golden, and the cake pulled itself away from the sides of the cone a bit.



I really hope these are a hit. I know I love them, but I've never had them the day after. Usually fresh the day they were made. Since I refuse to wake up at 6 am to bake, I am hoping they are as good!!

Update: Upon covering these things I found it was a PITA!! To get the lid to close I had to take some of them out. This sucks because I of course want them all to go to my destination. So technically to fit comfortably in this sized pan you can fit 18 in there!!





<span class=

4 comments:

Jeanne said...

Very cool! Sorry we missed them. They look devine.

Anonymous said...

I did these too...and it came out pretty good...

Just Being Me said...

I wanted to update.....Taking those extra's out made for a messy delivery! Every turn I made on our way toppled this one and tipped that one. When we got there I stood them all up and added the others I have taken out. There was a little icing on a few of the cones, but not bad for the most part!

I have to make these for tomorrow so at least I know what to expect.

Next time I make these it will be for an event here at my house. NO transporting and I can make them fresh! :o)

Anonymous said...

Is that the ice cream cone will be cruncy all the time?