Sunday, March 22, 2009

Komen Acadiana's Race for the Cure 2009

Well, the 2 months of hard work, volunteering and pleading for donations and participation finally came to fruit yesterday! Acadiana's 10th Annual Komen Race for the Cure was yesterday morning.

This year I started my own team, with my playgroup - Active Moms. Last year I walked with Acadiana Moms, but this year decided to just make it one of Active Mom's yearly fundraisers. I signed us up with a goal of 10 team members and to raise $300. To my delight and surprise we raised $895 and had 33 team members! It was awesome and I am so pleased with my team and my friends and family!! We were also able to acquire sponsors for our team through the generosity of Chad Pellerin at C-n-T Productions (Professional DJ Company) , Don Johnson at Kart Ranch , Daisy Kerne who sell Gold Canyon Candles & Tupperware and PE Rentals.

Because of their generosity, our team was able to make T Shirts with the names of our family and friends who suffer from or have passed away because of breast cancer! This meant a lot to us to honor these ladies this way!! So another huge THANK YOU to all of these companies for caring so much and for supporting our causes!!

Here are our shirts!

The front - Team Active Moms - 10th Annual Race for the Cure


The back, proudly displaying the names of those we love and miss and also our wonderful sponsors!!




The actual day of the race was wonerful! I decided to volunteer prior to the race, so I was at Parc San Souci for 5:30am. The amount of volunteers they had this year was awesome! They said previous years there was lots of work to do and not enough hands to get it all done! I was happy to be a part of it all this year!

I stopped volunteering a little before 8 so that I could change out of my Volunteer shirt and into my team shirt and then meet up with my team. Not many were able to walk this year, though I know some signed up to help and donate! But it was a pleasure to walk with those that could make it!!

I didn't stay for the festivities afterwards, as getting up at 4 am made me pretty tired come 10 am! lol Regan was in New Iberia with Papaw and her Aunt Boobie and Uncle Chad at the Festival of Live Oaks, so I headed that way after the race.

All in all it was a great day! And all of the hard work the previous 2 months made it all worth it!

Again I want to thank each of my Active Moms ladies, my family and friends and our sponsors! Each of you made this event wonderful!

Komen of Acadiana raised over $183K and there was over 10,000 registered walkers this year!! It was an amazing year!!!!




4 comments:

Daisy said...

yesterday was great! thanks for getting it all together!!

Anonymous said...

I was looking for the results of the race on google and ran across your blog! The race was amazing and we had a TON of fun!!! Thanks for helping to make it so great! It was my first Komen and I was amazed at all of the effort and work people put into it. I'm a Radiation Oncology nurse and the survivor ceremony was really touching. Love your shirts, too! :0)

Unknown said...

I think I saw those shirts. We should have tried to meet. I joined the Acadiana Moms group through my friend, Carlie. I also posted about my experience on my blog. Congrats on your team's fundraising.

Just Being Me said...

Aww, I wish we would have run into each other!! I know Carlie, have chatted with her a few times!! I am heading to your blog to check it out thanks!

And thanks, we worked so hard!