Saturday, March 14, 2009

The All Mom


Yesterday evening I was sitting at the kitchen table filling out the registration form for Regan to play Tee Ball again this year. We lived in Iberia Parish last year, so this year it is with the BYYA and a few thing are different. One being the cost! Willow Wood was only $25, whereas BYYA is $65. Granted though, we only got the kid's shirts last year and BYYA includes shirts, hats and trophies. I had to coordinate the trophies, the coach's thank you trophy and the parent's T shirts for our team last year.

On to the form. It really was pretty standard. As I got to the bottom I paused. And for quite a while I will say. It was the part where you check off if you wish to be a Team Mom. I literally leaned onto my elbows and but my face in my hands and stared down at the form. I am sure this seems odd to everyone, but at this point I am perplexed!

See, I am sort of the "All Mom". I am the one who organizes a playgroup, the charity events, the social events, does the volunteering, offers to come early to set up, stays late to clean up. I was Team Mom last year for Tee Ball, Room Mom this year in her dance class......

Frankly, I am just always too involved or should I say OVER involved in everything! lol I truly do not know what it is like to be the one who just sits and lets other people handle things! I honestly sat and struggled for a few minutes on whether I would do what I always do and offer or if I would for once enjoy JUST being Regan's mom and enjoying her activity.

I didn't check anything. But, because I guess I cannot help it, I did ask the lady at registration if they usually do have people offer to be Team Mom. She said they do, that the age group of the kids there is usually a few offers. This made me feel better, and I explained that I needed an activity "duty free" if you will. She assured me that there would be someone!

So as hard as it was to pass on the task, I feel better knowing I was actually able to say no, so to speak! I figured if things needed direction or nothing was getting done, that I would offer to help a LITTLE! lol During Tee Ball Season Regan will still be in dance and will also have swimming lessons! I think my plate will be pretty full! Could I have made time to be Team Mom, sure! But I am trying not to induce burnout yet!

At the end of the day, I think I made the right choice! And I know there will be many, many more opportunities to help out! As it stands though, I need to get through the Race for the Cure, Dance Class, Swimming, the Summer and Tee Ball, and I think that's a great goal! lol

No comments: