Saturday, February 7, 2009

Levels of Friendship

Can someone be best or even great friends with someone who's morals and ethics are not on base with yours??

I have been pondering this question for about a month now. And frankly it has been eating me up!

I posed this conundrum to a few people just as it is written above. Without being given any details to my own dilemma, I was given pretty much the same answer from everyone and what I got with it was a confirmation that what I thought was right!

Basically I was told two things! You can be friends, but not great friends. And the other, if their morals and ethics, or lack of, conflict with those of my family (especially since I have kids) than it is pretty improbable that a friendship in any form be possible.

The reason this is so difficult for me? Because a person I truly care about and that has been my greatest friend for not only the last 3 years, but has been one of the best friends I've had in my life is doing things that I just believe isn't right! Now, if I wasn't a mother this would probably be one of those things I was talk about under my breath. But having seen and gone through all the things I have in my childhood I cannot bring myself to accept these things. Especially from a person I have around my family and most of all my daughter! It goes hand in hand with trust and making the right decisions! The day I realized that I couldn't trust her with my child was the day I think it all changed! And as bad as it sounds to read it, it feels even worse to type or to even feel it! There is no way I could describe how great this friend has been to me and my daughter! The whole thing just sucks! But the love of a friend and time invested cannot replace the damage done and or make me look away and go against my morals and better judgement!


There are a few underlying things that have hurt our friendship recently that didn't help the situation. But at the end of the day, doing what is right for my family no matter who hurts from it is what I have to do! And trust me, it hurts! I was trying to distance myself until I could figure out what to do, but she made the choice for us both yesterday and I think there is no turning back!

I guess with life everything changes. Some for the better. Some for the worst. Maybe there will eventually be some good that comes out of this bad!

No comments: