Monday, December 22, 2008

The Real Meaning - Christmas!

I have really began to find that the meaning of Christmas seems to get more and more lost each passing year!

While I am not an overly religious person, I do know the purpose of Christmas. I also have adapted my own expectation of what the Christmas season should be about and what people so easily forget!

I find it so strange that everyone claims to know that "Jesus is the reason for the season", but in the fight to get to that sale or to get everything on the list of a child who already has everything, we somehow forget what really matters! I find that this time of year people are rushed and rude and intolerable of others. The focus is on the wrong things and I think people are acting in ways they normally would not! When did Christmas become like this? About 2 weeks into December, I find myself - while fighting traffic all over town, wishing December was already here!

Besides the celebration of the birth of Christ, Christmas is about FAMILY and CHARITY and COMMUNITY and REJOICING about life! Obviously these are things that should be celebrated daily - but I am a little more realistic! lol To me the Holidays are an extra excuse to take those you hold dear and make them spend time with you! Enjoy the little things, makes memories and do things for others!!

I miss the daily hospitality that is Southern Louisiana! I am tired of looking at something at the grocery store and having someone reach in from of me to grab something without even a word! I am tired of the ignorance of drivers on the road! Everyone is either running up your butt, or piddling around with 5 car lengths in between while making people sit through lights 4 or 5 times! I am SO tired of a 15 minute drive to my daughter's dance class taking 30 - 45 minutes! I know it will soon pass, and I am definitely ready! lol

Another thing I want to discuss is the vicious cycle of gift giving! I am sure you know what I mean. At the beginning of season you make a list of those you'll be buying for! This is so you can get your shopping done in the least trips possible and be done with the shopping and crowds! Then your friend says "I bought you a present" or " So-n-so bought me a present, so I have to buy her a present. And if I buy her a present I need to buy you one too!" Well, there are two more people to buy for! LOL It's a vicious cycle I tell you!! And see, I don't need a thing - so I was just gonna buy for a few of my friend's kids! Oh well, like I said, soon it will be all over and life can return to normal!! :o)

The moral to this blog is not a bah-humbug sort of point! It's just my frustrations with the hussle and bussle and I'm just ready for it to all be over! Only 3 more days.........THREE DAYS and counting! Heheee!

2 comments:

Kim said...

I'm ready too Heather!!

I completely agree with everything you said.

Just Being Me said...

Only a few more days! lol

Merry Christmas Kim!