Thursday, July 16, 2009

Whats in a Name!?


You know, one thing I have never understood is people who name their children things that will never be pronounced correctly! It's one thing to change the spelling of a name to make it unique. Or name your child something that could have two pronunciations. (for example Regan has two spellings, and until she was a few years old I never knew it could be pronounced Ree-gon instead of Ray-gan) But why make up names to call your kid? Don't you love them enough to want them no not have to spell and correct people every day of their lives for deciphering a name wrong?

When Regan was born everyone thought she was a boy. It drove me CRAZY! At her first Dr's appointment I sat their and watched people go in that arrived after me. All because when the nurse called for my kiddo she said Rayquan. I was more than annoyed.

Today I have to correct people all the time for misspelling Regan's name. Even when I enrolled her in Kindergarten - the paper I filled out had her name on it, and Regan verbally spelled it for her. And do you know she still spelled it wrong?! And when I got her appointment and school info in the mail they had her name written the wrong way too! It really bothers me that people do not make it a point to get it right! I am very careful about people's names, it's a respect thing!

Anyways, with all these issues I've had with a common name with a common spelling......why on Earth would someone make up a name that no one can spell or pronounce?! For the sanity of your child, stop trying to be cool (or MORE insane) and give your kid a fighting chance!


This song ROCKS!! :o)


No comments: