Friday, December 12, 2008

Being Charitable....Love Your Community

About 3 or 4 times a year my Playgroup adopts a charity and collects donations for that cause! In the past we have done food drives for the Lafayette FoodNet, collected supplies & monetary donations for The Lafayette Animal Aid, walked for the Race for the Cure and all to much success!

I cannot tell you how great it is to be surrounded by great people willing to help their own community! The way I look at it - this is OUR community! We live here and raise our families here and I think supporting our community and those within it is important!

I feel very fortunate and blessed that our family has done so well. It wasn't but 4 years ago when we were just starting out here in Louisiana, had a newborn and wasn't sure how I was going to buy her an $11 can of formula! I have been at every level of the economic "food chain" and I know good and well what its like and how it feels! I think so many people get on their feet or do very well for themselves and forget to pass it along!

Our last charity event of 2008 is the Faith House! I am really excited about this one and hope to make it a great success! If you are unfamiliar with Faith House, they are a Shelter for battered women and children. They house them and also help them start new lives and get on their feet! This is a charity I hold very dear to my heart!

I usually will post our charity events on local boards like Acadiana Moms (or moms like me) but I have yet to receive any interest after asked for help in our 2 previous charity events. I find this so funny, since this site is filled with OUR community! I start to lose faith towards the end of each time we collect for charities - but at the end of the day I have to remind myself that people have to do what is in their hearts! Me trying to get my community active and to care about those less fortunate will not change things! So, for me, I do what I can. My ladies usually pull through and give what they can!! I can't ask for much more!!

So in closing, if you would like ot donate to the Faith House - we are delivering our donations on Monday the 15th. I can meet you or you can drop items to my home! If you do not wish to donate to our chosen charity, please know there are MANY, MANY people in need! Not only during the holidays, but all through the year! It's never to late to reach out!!
For more info on FAITH HOUSE go to
http://www.faithhouseacadiana.com/
You can also view their wish list!!

As a tribute to my girls and all of their selflessness throughout the year........



FoodNet : http://www.foodnetacadiana.org/
GIVE ALL YEAR LONG TO THEM!!

Lafayette Animal Aid :
http://www.lafayetteanimalaid.org/Home.html
Find out about donating your time or items, or adopting a friend!



Komen for the Cure - Acadiana :
http://www.komenacadiana.org/site.php

Even if you do not know someone who has breast cancer or even
have it yourself, giving to a cause that effects so many is good for
the soul!


FoodNet : http://www.foodnetacadiana.org/
They need food throughout the year, not just around the holidays!!
They generally run out of food during the summer, so this year we
had our canned food drive in July!

No comments: