Thursday, September 18, 2008

Do 4 Year Olds Sleep??!?


So, do they?? Because I have one and let me tell you......that child does NOT sleep!!!

Bedtime and nap time in this house is TORTURE!! Up until this year and Regan turning 4 we had a normalcy where sleep was concerned! Although we always wondered where she got her sleep habits from! Bub and I LOVE to sleep! Always have! We always assumed the odds of her having a love for sleep would be great since we both are really good at sleeping!

Up until her 4th birthday Regan went to bed, without issue at 8 pm on the dot. And depending on the day I might send her in a little earlier with no issue. Well, all of a sudden 8 pm turned into a fight to get her in there, which then lead to her laying in bed for an hour or more asking for a drink, asking questions, talking, needing to go to the bathroom numerous times....and it ultimately would end in me either yelling and/or spanking her. So I decided that a change in bedtimes was needed and we went with 8:30 pm. Well, this worked for a few days and soon we were back to the hour long battle, some nights longer. It became ridiculous! And let me tell you, ending a day with my daughter by yelling and fussing and sometimes spanking her SUCKS! Big time!!

Most people would say, just let her stay up. Well, here's the thing....even if I let her stay up until midnight, the kid will still wake up at 6:30 am! And bare in mind, I am an oilfield wife! I do not have the luxuries of a daddy coming home at 5:30 at night and getting any piece and quiet. There's no one here to keep her occupied when I make dinner, let me take a shower in peace, let me relax or do anything else! So the evening time when she is asleep is the ONLY time I get time to myself!

If you're an avid reader, you'll already know I decided that I would start letting her stay up till 9 or so, maybe later to get her good and tired with the premise that she HAD to stay in her room and watch a movie! This really did work for a while! But, here we are again! This kid does NOT SLEEP!

Not only will she get up at the crack of dawn, then fight me for an hour before taking a nap, she still won't be tired and will fight to go to bed at night! WHERE does she find the energy?? I have truly witnessed her get 6 hours of sleep at night, avoid a nap like the plague, be put to bed at 9 pm and STILL be awake and chatting full force come 10:30! HOW?? And you know, if she didn't act like such a little jerk from the lack of sleep, it wouldn't bother me if she skipped her naps and stayed up a little later. But little Miss Diva gets a mouth and an attitude on her that doesn't quit!

To all of you with girls, I have no doubt you know what I am talking about! But does anyone know why my child does not sleep?? I keep telling Bub there is something wrong with her. I seriously am contemplating contacting her pediatrician to see if there is really something amiss with this sleep situation!

4 comments:

boat-a-fisk blog said...

Heather-

No 4 year olds do not sleep at times but when they do it is worth it. How is your E? I am glad to see it made it through those storms. I love my E.

BuffaloTom
http://boat-a-fisk.blogspot.com/

des_pie said...

my 4 year old does the exact same thing. so i decided to cut out the nap time. i still make him sit quiet for an hour or so with a book or coloring crayons but he doesn't argue about bedtime anymore. my 9 year old did the same thing but when he was 3. i don't know where they got it from either cause their dad and i both love sleep. i had to cut out my 9 year olds nap when he was three to correct the problem. i just think that some kidos don't need as much sleep as others.

Unknown said...

I have the same problem.. My 4 year old son will not sleep. He out right refuses.. He's never been much of a sleeper - not even as a baby....not much of a napper, either...
We've been doing a routine that starts at about 7 top 7:30 - bath, teeth, books, bed...consistently for years now...and for awhile when he was 3, it worked.. Now, he's back to being up until 1 in the morning, yet waking up at like, 7 AM.
We've seen/talked to his doctor...he goes to a therapist weekly (dad issues...dad was abusive and thankfully is GONE) and while his therapist has definitely helped in many many ways, this sleep thing has us all stumped (us meaning me, my mother, boyfriend, family, everyone!)
Not that I WANT you to have the same problem, I am relieved to read about someone having the same experience that I am.
I have tried everything imaginable.
Good luck to you... and thanks for letting me kinda vent/relate (like you had a choice in the matter, haha) Take care,

Anonymous said...

I'm not a regular reader but I happened upon your blog b/c I was googling to try and find help/suggestions for my never sleeping 4 y/o...Well I'm in the same boat. He has never been a great sleeper and as he grows up the situation changes..The newest being morning now statrts at 4:30am instead of 6-I don't know what to do. He is very active but also extremely tired all day (falls a lot, cranky etc)-this just makes the days/evenings even more stressfull. Hope it gets better for you as I hope for us too & you are not alone.